Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Another Day in Paradise

At the time of writing, I am sitting at my borrowed desk in the U.S. Embassy fulfilling my official duty as “the guy that does stuff.” Technically I am doing stuff. Although this is an odd deployment, I am in Islamabad, Pakistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom it is a satisfying feeling to serve a cause greater then oneself. Of course this comes with great personal sacrifice.

But there are few things more rewarding than knowing that not only are you needed, but that you are wanted and appreciated. Take today for instance, we have one scheduled meeting per week, it is on Saturday. Which rocks. Since I am “the guy that does stuff” I have been attending the meeting for the guys that I do stuff for while they are away.

After the boss got done putting out the information that was important to all of us, it was each of the sections turn to brief issues and projects. So there I sat taking notes when my actual supervisor got his turn and stated the following “I will be leaving tomorrow to go the Nellis, AFB and I have briefed Captain Irish on projects. Don’t expect him to be very proactive though.”

I don’t think that he realized that I was sitting right behind him because normally I wouldn't be, however, since I am doing another person's job that would attend, I was there. It was at that point that someone said “You know he is sitting right behind you.” Which everyone in the room seemed to know except him. He then said “What I mean is that he doesn’t know what he is doing…I mean he is …….” At that point it didn’t matter what he said and everyone was laughing.

Keep in mind, I have been here for one month (of which he was gone for two weeks) and I am doing two other peoples jobs, which take priority over whatever tasks he gives me. The look on my face must have been priceless.

Once again, there is nothing as satisfying as knowing that not only am I making a difference in this world, but that I am needed (which is established by the fact that I don’t have a permanent computer or desk) and that I am appreciated (based on today’s experience and yesterdays crappy Girl Scout Cookies).

Signed by,

“the guy that sits at many desks and does stuff”


1 comment:

  1. You, my friend, are a regular John Adams. And I mean that in all the good ways. Hopefully all your cohorts and superiors will learn to appreciate you while they have you.

    ReplyDelete